The US military may carry out strikes on Iran as soon as this weekend, although President Donald Trump has yet to make a final decision. At the same time, Washington is assembling its largest air power buildup in the Middle East since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
The US military is ready to carry out strikes on Iran as soon as this weekend, but President Donald Trump has not yet given final approval for the operation.At the same time, the United States is rapidly deploying fighter jets and support aircraft to the Middle East, assembling its most significant air power presence in the region since the 2003 Iraq invasion.
The White House has been informed that the US military could be prepared to strike Iran as soon as this weekend after a significant buildup of air and naval forces in the Middle East, sources told CNN. However, President Donald Trump has not taken a final decision and has been privately considering arguments both for and against military action while consulting advisers and allies.
On Wednesday, senior national security officials gathered in the White House Situation Room to review the situation.
Trump was also briefed by special envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner on indirect negotiations with Iran held the previous day in Geneva. The discussions, which lasted more than three hours, yielded no clear breakthrough, although Iran’s lead negotiator referred to agreement on “guiding principles,” while US officials said key issues remain unresolved.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Iran is expected to clarify its negotiating stance in the coming weeks, emphasizing that diplomacy remains Trump’s preferred course, though military action has not been ruled out.
“There are many reasons one could argue for a strike,” she said, adding that Trump is relying primarily on guidance from his national security team.
Meanwhile, Iran is fortifying several nuclear facilities by shielding key sites with concrete and large amounts of soil, according to new satellite imagery and analysis from the Institute for Science and International Security, as US military pressure intensifies.
TRUMP BRIEFED ON RANGE OF MILITARY OPTIONS
Trump has been presented with multiple military options as the United States undertakes its largest air-power deployment to the Middle East since the 2003 Iraq invasion, The Wall Street Journal reported.
Advanced fighter jets, including F-35s and F-22s, along with command-and-control aircraft, are being positioned in the region, while a second aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald Ford, moves toward the area. The US naval presence has already expanded to 13 warships, including the USS Abraham Lincoln, currently operating in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean.
Officials said the proposals range from limited strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities to a much broader campaign that could target dozens of Iranian leaders with the goal of destabilizing the government. Either scenario could last several weeks, according to the report.
The USS Gerald Ford carrier strike group could reach the region as early as this weekend, while US Air Force tankers and fighter aircraft are being moved closer to the Middle East, CNN reported.
Amid the buildup, Axios reported that US officials believe any potential strike would likely become a sustained, multi-week campaign, possibly conducted alongside Israel and larger in scale than last year’s 12-day Israeli-led operation.
One White House official estimated the chances of military action in the coming weeks at about 90%, as fears grow that rising tensions could escalate into a broader conflict despite ongoing diplomatic efforts.
With military deployments increasing and negotiations producing limited progress, the coming days may prove a critical test of Washington’s strategy toward Tehran. While Trump continues to consider his options, officials acknowledge the window for a negotiated solution is narrowing, raising the risk that the standoff could evolve into a prolonged and far more dangerous confrontation.
Read more trending news here